Friday, June 30, 2006

Ta-Dah!!!!

I did it. I got to the end. At this moment, Victory stands at 84,233 words, which will change up or down, perhaps considerably after I "fix" the professor character. She is the one probably furthest from my heart emotionally so I intend to get in there and bolster her somehow. Classroom scenes will help, I think, and I have a wealth of material for THAT assignment.

My computer is making an odd whirring noise, which even I as a techo-jackass know cannot be good. Do computers have fan belts? Does it need an oil change? I hate when mechanics scold me.

HAVE YOU HAD THE BENDIX ENDROMETER POINTILATED?

Well, no, I don't think so.

WELL, WHAT DO YOU EXPECT? HAVE YOU NEVER ALTERED THE GASTROGAGE?

Possibly not.

LADY, THERE'S ONLY SO MUCH WE CAN DO, YOU KNOW.

I know. I'm an inferior human.

AND DON'T FORGET IT.

One of these days we consumers, we car drivers, should stand up to these guys. YOU KNOW WHAT? I'M PAYING THE BILL, AREN'T I? JUST FIX IT, FREON BREATH.

My friends and I were talking about having rage parties. Different from raves. We could wear costumes---one of my friends suggested an Edward Scissorhands get-up and I like the sound of it. Jack the Ripper, Chucky, any psychopath will do.
Not that we have issues, but get out the magazine stand.

A bientot
becky

6 Comments:

At 11:37 PM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

I am in awe! Over 80, 000 words.
I wrote 5,000 over the past few days and thought I was doing well! I cannot conceive ... of such a feat. Coming from years of writing in split lines ... line breaks ... it is like an ant looking up at a sky scraper!
A rage up ... hmmm ... I think I'd go as a wasp.

 
At 11:38 PM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Sorry - meant to say too that your conversation with a computer whizz kid sounds vaguely familiar! (Very funny!)

 
At 9:49 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Poetry is so compressed, right? You can get 100 words in two words in a poem. that's the wonder of it. Hats off to you, Chief,
b

 
At 11:33 PM , Blogger sandman1 said...

There are two primary sources of mechanical whirring noises in a computer: fan(s) and the hard drive.

Fans are electrical (no belts...), and can make a variety of odd noises when they start failing. Most computers have a few fans nowadays. If they do fail, other things (like expensive chips) can fail from overheating. Somtimes I've quieted a noisy fan (dying from bearing problems) for a bit longer by poking a pencil in at it to briefly drag on the blades.

Hard drives can make more noise as they age. Any sudden increase in noise is usually a bad sign. If you think it might be the drive, make sure you make backups of everything you care about, and then make backups often, because the end may be near! I'd hate to read that you lost a bunch of revisions to Victory! (Congrats on getting to the end, BTW.)

If you open the cover to the computer you can probably figure out if it's a fan or a hard drive pretty easily (you can run it with the cover off).

 
At 11:21 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Thanks, sandman1

b

 
At 3:46 PM , Blogger sandman1 said...

de rien -- have a good 4th!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home