Sunday, July 02, 2006

table hockey

I'm not talking about air hockey where you stand there and twirl those stupid little levers and players twist around and move up and down. I'm talking about real low-tech table hockey.

A long board with two holes, one on either end. A block in front of each hole, two mallets, and one puck.

I am AWESOME at this game. I was champion of the recretation league in Peoria, ILlinois a number of years ago (cough cough). No one can beat me. I had a group here tonight and we played. I'm a kind and generous winner, though, and I instruct people on how to get better.

I'm obnoxious.

One of my old friends actually said this tonight at my kitchen table.

"This is my place. This chair at this table. I always liked to sit here so I could just walk outside and pee."

"What?" I said.

"I always liked to sit here so I could just walk outside and pee."

Yuck.

I never knew that.

It's hot and humid in New England tonight. I may run the air conditioner in my bedroom even though it is noisy. I always think I hear a TV set on or people talking behind it. It weirds me out.

Started on revision of Victory. I feel enthusiastic and have found a new reader, so that motivates me.

A bientot
becky

2 Comments:

At 7:49 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Glad you're having fun with friends - even if they make odd comments!!
Yes. I know excatly what you mean about hearing other noises (cars, people talking ...) behind a motor's drone ... I'm glad I'm not the only one that happens to. Yay! I'm not crazy - well at least not crazy alone!

 
At 8:17 PM , Blogger sandman1 said...

That sounds like what my mother called "knock hockey" when she got it as a something-fun-to-do-on-Christmas-Day gift for my father one year.

My uncle has more unusual wooden game along the same lines, which has some European name I can never remember. It's very long with six goal slots at the far end (kind of like six goals), and you slide all of the 20+ wooden pucks down towards them, one at a time, trying to get as many through as possible (either directly or by bumping in an earlier miss), and also trying to get similar numbers in each slot. It's addictive.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home