Monday, December 11, 2006

Becky's Moaning in Pleasure Chocolate Mousse Pie


I have never given a recipe on CFE and indeed am not a recipe maven of any sort. But this delicacy will have your guests signing over their firstborn to you, I guarantee it. Not that you would want that exactly.

INGREDIENTS CRUST:
3 cups chocolate wafer crumbs
1/2 cup melted unsalted butter

Okay this is the part I've been complaining about. Someone just told me to put the wafers into a blender and THAT will crush them uniformly. I have tried everything else, including rolling pin, potato masher, and meat mallet. I have stopped short of running them over in the driveway with my Honda. I personally believe that would work, but I am going to try the blender thing. I'll report back next week.

Anyway, combine the crumbs and the butter and press on the bottom and sides of a spring form pan. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

I love those spring form pans. Well, primarily I love them when you get to release the spring on the night of the party. There's always a bit of suspense, hoping that the whole mushy guts of it won't break your heart by doing something undignified. Although come to think of it, I'd rather have my heart broken by a pie than a person. Everything's relative.

So anyways--here are the ingredients for the filling. Low-cal this ain't.

1 pound semi-sweet chocolate
2 eggs
4 egg yolks
2 cups heavy cream
6 tablespoons confectioner's sugar
4 egg whites

Melt the chocolate in a double boiler. Add the whole eggs and mix thoroughly, then add the egg yolks to the mixture and continue to blend. Whip the heavy cream and add confectioner's sugar. In another bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Stir the chocolate mixture, the whipped cream, and the egg whites together and pour on top of the crust in the spring form pan. Refrigerate for six hours or more. Drink wine for the entire six and screw the mousse, opting instead for M&Ms.

Haha. No way.

I really hate separating egg yolks from egg whites. My mother has a little plastic thingie that does it easily but I never remember to buy anything like that, so I am stuck with a regular spoon. Sometimes it works, sometimes it spills everywhere. Also, any recipe that requires more than one bowl is complicated to me. I feel like I'm on an assembly line and can't keep up. Like Lucy and Ethel in the candy factory.

Also, I do not own a double boiler. I fill up one large saucepan with water and then use a smaller one balanced precariously on top of the first. I do not recommend this technique. If it all spills, it's quite expensive. And don't try to use the chocolate mixture if it's filled with water.

This whole thing is one Big Possible Debacle for me.

But I'm telling you, it's unbelievably good.

Let me know if your guests don't moan.

A bientot

becky

4 Comments:

At 8:53 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

You should write recipe books - recipe books are normally very boring I find but if they were written with interesting asides like this (e.g thinking about using your Honda to crush the wafers!) they'd be best sellers!

 
At 1:19 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Thanks, Chief!!!

Cooking with Your Honda!!!!


b

 
At 12:21 AM , Blogger sandman1 said...

Actually, some eccentrics do cook with their cars, generally the idea being to strap something to the hot part of the engine so it cooks during your roadtrip. I'm not making this up:
http://www.amazon.com/Manifold-Destiny-Guide-Cooking-Engine/dp/0375751408

This probably worked better with a big old Chevy 40 years ago than an efficient Honda, though.

PS Did you see Google's logo today was a tribute to Edvard Munch's The Scream?

 
At 6:33 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Yes, SM1, I noticed that immediately!!! It's such a great work. I'm tempted to use it again.

b

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home