Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Will I Still Play the Violin?

The answer to the question above is YES, BECKY!
IF YOU BUY A VIOLIN!
AND TAKE LESSONS!
AND PRACTICE DAY IN AND DAY OUT !
AND ALSO WAIT SIX WEEKS FOR YOUR ELBOWS TO HEEL!!!
YOU WILL PLAY THE VIOLIN!
Whew.

I was worried. This recovery stuff is crap. My eye laceration [god, I love saying that] looks bad but doesn't feel bad. I started out thinking I looked like Freddy Kreuger. But that's not quite it because only one part of my face, the upper right quadrant if you will, is affected.




Okay then, I look way better than Freddy. My face is more of a partial horror movie. Maybe I need something like this:




Yeah, that's more like it and I wouldn't mind wearing one of these. I think my students would quite enjoy it. Can't you see me at Hannaford's?

"Excuse me, what was that you said?"

"I said have a nice day, ma'am."

"Oh. I thought maybe you had something else to say."

"Good luck with the mask?"

Nothing will make those people say thank you, but never mind that now.



WHAT I HAVE LEARNED FROM THE EXPERIENCE:

1) Never wear high heels before 8am.

2) Consider not wearing high heels at all. Really think about it.

3) Never throw anything out, like your spare car key, so you don't have to pay $200 for a tow and a new key.

4) Never think your problems are bad.

5) Never think your day can't get any worse.

6) Never use an adverb to modify a noun.



Oh wait. That was for a different list. My brains are jumbled now and rearranged. You'd think with the blow I had I could speak French now or Russian.

I'm very very happy to be walking around on top of the ground and not under it [though walking around under it would be a real achievement, I think we'd all agree]. Love to you, dear reader, from your friend



Becky

4 Comments:

At 12:58 AM , Blogger sandman1 said...

Great to see you back already! Finally, a practical use for that funky half-mask! What could you go by when you wear it... phantom of the author when writing, or phantom of the op-ed when writing to the newspaper, phantom of the audit when talking to the IRS (but I hope you're back to normal by then!), phantom of the opt-out when turning off e-mail spam (okay I'm reaching now...)

Still trying to picture how broken elbows looks -- are they in casts at 45-degree angles or something or do you just have to be very careful with them?

 
At 7:06 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

In truth, sm, I have a sling and haven't worn it. The fractures are above the elbow and they supposedly heal fast. I'm probably way out line living the way I'm living, but the ER doc said when I asked him if I could drive that it was up to me. Give me an inch, I'll take a mile.
Phantom of the Orthopedic Ward!
Thanks,
b

 
At 11:26 PM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Your black humour is in good knick at least. Thinking of you; it mustn't be much fun for you right now.

 
At 6:20 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Only when I move, Kay,
Thanks,
b

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home