Friday, September 12, 2008

Birthday Girl



Yes, dear reader, today is my birthday. Thank you. Thank you very much. I share my special day with:

Henry Hudson, explorer [I like to feel I'm keeping his spirit alive if only by trying new cocktails]


Richard Gatling, inventor of--well, what would you expect-- the gatling gun and in truth, I've always felt that the same things keep happening to me over and over and over again. BANG. OUCH. STOP IT. Luckily not actual bullets.

H.H. Asquith, Prime Minister of the UK [quite pleasing to an anglophile like me]

I could just see this guy on Upstairs Downstairs.

H. L. Mencken, American journalist [God, these dudes look arrogant, don't they? Can you picture any of them fixing their own baloney sandwich?]


Alfred Knopf, American publisher [OMG, wouldn't I love to get a deal with them! ]

Knopf Publishers typically like a bit more "heavy-ocity" than I have in my work. HEY! WHAT'S LIGHTWEIGHT ABOUT GROCERY SHOPPING? YOU TRY WALKING THROUGH HANNAFORD'S AND STAYING LITERARY, OKAY? THEN WE'LL TALK.

Jesse Owens, American athlete in the 1936 Berlin Olympics--yeah, baby!!! F you, Adolph!



Paul McCartney's son James McCartney, here looking far more like Larry Bird.

Gosh, I guess that means somewhere in the world the McCartneys are gathered for a festive dinner. Maybe my friends and I will run into them at the winery in Bolton.

Caroline Aigle, first female French fighter pilot

Let's face it, I'm putting Caroline here because I COULDN'T FIND ANY OTHER WOMEN! I'm proud to be associated with Mlle. Aigle, though Wikipedia says she died in 2007. Oops. I'm still happy she got to fly those fighters and I'm sure she KICKED ASS.

September 12 is the 255th day of the year. Gosh, it doesn't feel like that, does it?

Are you ready? There are 110 days remaining in this year.

I don't need to tell my regular readers what some of them will be. UGH and UBER-UGH.

The h-h-h-well, you know.

Still happy.

love,becky

10 Comments:

At 2:19 AM , Blogger sandman1 said...

Happy belated!

How about actress Jennifer Hudson from that movie Dreamgirls? Or Linda Gray from primetime-soap Dallas? Not quite gatling-gun league, I know...

What sort of injury would we have to sustain to declare we are out with a holiday-season-ending injury and will be replaced by our backups instead?

 
At 7:59 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

BRILLIANT, sm. I'm stealing that!!!

And I didn't get all the way down the list on Wikipedia, obviously.

b

 
At 10:41 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Am I UBER-UGH? ;) Sounds like one of Chief Sitting Bull's wives - oops is that too non-pc of me?
HAPPY BIRTHDAY kiddo!!!! Have a good one.

 
At 11:27 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Thanks, Kay. Uber-ugh of course is for the dreaded holiday season. Chief Sitting Bull's wife might be a good blog topic. Thanks,
b

 
At 12:18 PM , Blogger sandman1 said...

Ha ha! Meet my regular readers, Ugh and Uber-ugh! I like that...

 
At 2:59 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

I call that a blooper, eh?

 
At 5:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy B-Day! Great time the other night - Thanks!

Love ya, Brad

 
At 7:22 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Thanks, Brad. Bring Angie next time.
b

 
At 9:32 AM , Blogger Mark said...

Hey becky, hope you had a brilliant b'day weekend. Do you think you could get a foot in the door with Mr Knopf by playing the "we've got the same birthday" card?

 
At 10:43 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Mark, that's exactly my strategy. I'm sure if he's alive, that one, but maybe it wouldn't matter.

b

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home