Thursday, August 28, 2008

Sleep well, America.


This was a screen from CNN last week which showed the number of flights in the air during an equipment malfunction in Georgia. Hundreds of delays were taking place, which didn't surprise me a bit. Every time I travel, I mean EVERY TIME, I sit on the tarmac in some kind of delay. I am one of the great tarmac sitters. Now I know why--can you see all of those little silver planes? Good grief. It looks like an infestation of insects. How can they all be up there at the same time?


Best not to think about it.
Another anxiety-producing topic is the stock market.


This is Ben Bernanke, the much-maligned Fed chairman who keeps having one bad idea after another, according to the pundits. Well, we'll bail out the banks. No, no, we wouldn't do that. Okay well, we'll bail out some of them but not all of them. No, no, no, no, we wouldn't do that. On the other hand, maybe we will.

He used to be a professor at Princeton and no doubt got lots of respect.
He looks almost goofy here, doesn't he? Professors do goofy extremely well. The subtext is that they are living the life of the mind and don't think about those outer things like haircuts and clothes. Ben looks way better than most academics, who can't button their shirts right.
Ben could always button his shirt, even back in the day. He looks a bit radical here, but you have to remember, everybody looked like that then. I wonder if that's a polyester shirt.
He is a South Carolina boy, also a Harvard boy and an MIT boy. Godawful smart, though everyone is second guessing him now. Imagine back then if you would have walked up to this kid and said the day is coming, Ben, when you will guide the economic policy of the United States. I picture him saying, yeah so?
He replaced Alan Greenspan
shown here at Applebee's placing his bar order.
Best not to think about any of this. Best to enjoy the last weekend of the summer as best we can. I am going on one more jaunt, dear reader, and plan to do a geographical review of all my travels next time. A bientot
love,
becky


6 Comments:

At 12:53 AM , Blogger sandman1 said...

I flew home via Atlanta today, and happily the computers seemed to work fine today. I did have a little tarmac-sitting -- we left Tucson early (!), and our reward was that there were no gates available when we got to Atlanta.

Our pilots: "Hey Atlanta, we came early! Isn't that great?"
Atlanta controllers: "Uh, no. Sit over there until the time you were supposed to get here..."

(Love the Greenspan gag...)

 
At 8:22 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Traveling these days is excruciating, sm. Sorry you have to do so much of it. :)

 
At 10:15 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Oooh lookee there at those planes infesting America. But isn't the scale making the planes a little larger than they really are? Or is that a blonde thing to say?
Anyhoo, it kind of puts me off visitng you anytime soon Becks!
As always you made me laugh with the goofy prof and the ordering the bar tab guy - I have no idea who they are, mind you! :)

 
At 12:08 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Kay, you don't want to know!!! They are making all of us poor! I wish you WOULD visit. Yes, the little airplanes are outsized, and thank god they're not really that size. I'm blonde too. b

 
At 10:15 PM , Blogger sandman1 said...

I haven't really had to travel too much -- just had a lot this August. Flying used to be more fun; the invasive security combined with the nickel-and-dime charging for everything ($3 stack of Pringles for lunch!) has pushed it past some threshold for me. I used three different airlines on my two trips, and I didn't like any of them.

 
At 10:30 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Traveling sucks, sm, if I may be so indelicate. I can't imagine doing it all the time.

b

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home