Saturday, August 02, 2008

The Artful Dodger?

I come home from vacation and see this?
A day after his trade from the Red Sox, Manny Ramirez was introduced to the Los Angeles media Friday evening.
What the heck? I guess I was peripherally aware that Manny was being Very Manny lately, but letting him go? I dunno about this. I don't know much about Jason Bay, but I'm sure opposing pitchers would rather face him than Manny. Didn't we send Nomar to the Dodgers? And Derek Lowe? They must have a little Boston enclave in the Dodger clubhouse. Pahk ya cah, baby.
I have watched the Red Sox management turn fans against lots of players. They did it to Pedro Martinez. Years ago they did it to Roger Clemens, who turned out to have other challenges anyway.
And now they've done it to Manny.
I'm sure it's tough to deal with his shenanigans in the clubhouse, but isn't it their job to make it work? If I get a tough kid in class, an arrogant kid with attitude, I have to deal with it. I can't just kick the kid out because I don't like him.
So enough of that. Vacay was great. Weight gain? 3.5 pds. I'm looking at a desolate week ahead of atonement dieting.
More details later, dear reader, but suffice it to say we watched 13 episodes of Mad Men and are totally in love with and smitten by the lead guy, the Mr. Draper character, an advertising creative director.
Here he is with his beautiful but remote wife. He honors and treasures her because she is such a good mommy to his children, but he can't seem to maintain, um, desire for her. Instead, he pursues a passionate relationship with another woman, a client. It's a great show and a yummy plot line.
Starting my revisions this week with a fresh head.
A bientot
love,
becky

7 Comments:

At 7:30 PM , Blogger sandman1 said...

I saw that same image of Manny on a muted TV in the Dallas airport yesterday. I'm vaguely aware that he's been asking to be traded for years, but somehow it still seems wrong doesn't it? The margarita I was having tempered my reaction though...

I would have readily traded my week in Dallas for yours on the Cape -- your vacation with friends sounded a lot more fun than my field testing in the 100+ Texas sun!

 
At 8:58 PM , Blogger Kristina said...

I'm dying to watch Madmen. Must get some DVDs because I don't have cable these days.

I have sympathy for you on the atonement dieting...

I'm shocked that the Tigers traded Pudge to the Evil Empire (er, the Yankees.) I guess he wasn't up to his usual high standards lately, but I was attached to him.

(My word verification is torsplrn which sounds a disease or a Hungarian village.)

 
At 1:36 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

sm, those temps in Texas and Arkansas have been frightening lately. Glad you survived.

Kris, it has occurred to me that you don't really have to get those word verifications right....haven't tested it, though. Sorry about the trade.
b

 
At 1:55 PM , Blogger sandman1 said...

It wasn't so bad in Texas, really -- less humid at least! In two weeks we're off for more in the Arizona desert...

I've gotten a report on Manny from a fan in the family now, and it sounds like it was time to go anyway and the new guy Bay has had a terrific start too.

I just intentionally got the word-thing wrong and it did seem to work (for preview), though I'd thought I had been forced to redo one before for getting it wrong. Curious. It wouldn't let me post with the wrong word though.

 
At 2:32 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Thanks for testing the theory, sm. Gosh, your company sends you to some hot places, literally.

b

 
At 3:46 PM , Blogger sandman1 said...

I've also been to Vegas in July and the next valley over from Death Valley in early September!

 
At 5:51 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

I like the clever title to this post.
Glad your head is fresh for the writing - most important.
I haven't watched Mad Men as it's on at the same time as something else I watch (I forget what at the mo) I guess I could always record it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home