Tuesday, July 15, 2008

How Much Money Would I Accept to See These Movies?

Moviefone says: 2008 is one of the "hottest summer movie seasons in years."

Becky says: ARE YOU ON DRUGS?
My friend and I perused the listings over the weekend and could not find ONE movie to see. In plain fact, I would have to be paid to see what is available. Here are the minimum amounts I would take.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal SkullIndiana Jones and the Something or Other
The first IJ had a scene with snakes in it and I would never chance another one.
$500
Incredible Hulk, TheThe Incredible Hulk Does Something or Other. God.
$600 (the extra hundred is due to the unremitting nature of the Hulk in the first place. When did this start? 1970s? Die, already!)
WALL-EWall-E.
People I have respect for have actually said this movie was good. Or it was cute. Or bearable. I don't think so.
$300 (but I'll lower my rate in honor of my good friends)

Kung Fu PandaKUNG-FU PANDA
I don't like cartoons. Sue me. And don't tell me it's Jack Black because it's only his voice.
$300
Hellboy-2Hellboy 2
ODGIH
(oh dear god in heaven)
$1000

I can't continue, dear reader. They are all terrible--terrible to contemplate and I have no doubt terrible to watch. Every time, I mean EVERY TIME, I have been persuaded against my will to attend an action movie like Batman, I have regretted it. I am wondering what time it is as soon as the thing starts.
Why are they SO BORING?
Why can't they make at least ONE English manor house movie with beautiful wallpaper?
And one more thing--why are the box office results of movies listed as "news" items? I don't get that. Far more of interest and relevance to our economy would be listings of how many refrigerators sold over a weekend, wouldn't they? Or cars? But movies? It just don't make sense to this reporter, y'all.

Sorry I'm a little grouchy today.
I'm writing the ending to my book and need all my energy for that.
A bientot
love,
becky

13 Comments:

At 2:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't wait for Batman - The Dark Knight - this weekend - How about I take you????

 
At 2:33 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Let me put it this way, Dermot.
No way.

 
At 2:34 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Actually, have you got five hundred bucks?

b

 
At 9:17 PM , Blogger Kristina said...

But, this summer is not a total wasteland. What about...Mamma Mia?

 
At 9:57 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Well yes, I guess I would see that, Kris. That's the one with Abba, right? Yeah. I would.

b

 
At 8:57 PM , Blogger Kristina said...

Abba, Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan and God-awful silly dance numbers. It can't go wrong!

 
At 10:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about "Mama-Mia It's Batman!" - Now I would see that as well -

Only 1 more day for Batman! YA!

And, only 4 more minutes to change the world....ya, ya, ya,,,,

 
At 7:48 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Good luck with the ending - ooh! How exciting! I tend to agree with you about movies ...

 
At 7:58 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Thanks, Kay. Solidarity on the movie thing.

b

 
At 5:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My sister, Barbara is just like you as far as that genre of movie is concerned. I'm embarrassed to admit that I love those movies. My daughter and I go to all of them. Though I will say I love many other genres too. I'm looking forward to Batman. Oh well, thank goodness we are not all the same or the world would be very boring. I hope you find your ending and all goes smoothly.

 
At 1:05 AM , Blogger sandman1 said...

[THAT MOVIE GUY VOICE]
In a world where everyone had the same taste in movies, it was very boring. Until one blogger changed everything...
[explosions]
[car chases]
[shouting]
This summer, get ready for a whole new dimension in movie history...

 
At 7:24 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Joan, I'm pretty sure you're in the majority and I am a lone minority in this. Enjoy whatever it is you like, I say.

SM, yes, the movie guy voice!
Becky Motew IS Grace Kelly!! HAR

b

 
At 10:30 PM , Blogger sandman1 said...

Opens everywhere this Thanksgiving, on Black Friday!!
:-)

(my "word verification" to post this is "ppthumm" -- seems like a sound the Kung Fu Panda would make while assuming that pose...)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home