Friday, July 31, 2009

Oh No

Baseball, fans's trust take another big hit Not Big Papi. Anybody but him. And there were 100 on the list? Is anybody NOT taking steroids? I suppose the 90-pound weaklings aren't, the skinny guys with the low batting averages. But the big guys, the ripped muscle dudes, juiced juiced juiced. Didn't Jose Canseco tell us this in his book?

I can see how it happens. You're a good player with a lot of ability. You desperately want to make it to the top level before someone else does. The guy standing next to you, the wimpy bloke in glasses, a smart guy, tells you it won't hurt you. "I'm telling you, it won't hurt you. Not what I have." He's giving you something else that when you take it, gets rid of all the bad possibilities. "No side effects with this stuff." It won't show up on tests and nothing bad will ever happen except that you will become an awesome player. Oh go ahead, you say. I'll try it.
Well.........


This makes me think of fingernail polish. Stay with me, dear reader. I normally don't wear the stuff and think of it as a pain in the ass and not worth my time and shallow in the extreme. Not that I am against shallow. But you live your life a certain way when your nails are painted. A little more contained, a little more tentative, you're careful not to grab or scrub or poke too energetically. It's definitely a girl thing.

But then when I do have my nails done for an event, such as my son's wedding this weekend, I LOVE it. I am constantly holding my hands out to admire them. I hold them at different angles so I can see how the sun glints off the individual fingers. Sick-o. Within days they are flawed, scratched, and otherwise violated, of course, but my point is that it's easy to embrace an activity you know is stupid and to give yourself over to it regardless of the consequences. Vanity, thy name is Revlon.

See? That is your Nail Polish Sports Theory of the day. Oh and what was David Ortiz thinking during the Manny 'roid scandal? And the A-Rod one? Gosh, that could be me? Geesh. No wonder they don't criticize each other.

Many are now saying our World Series wins in 04 and 07 are tainted. Just don't forget one thing, though. Yankees still suck.

In other news, the car situation is still not resolved. Here's the main scoop: I picked out a car model that I liked. I sat down with Salesman X and he and I agreed that it, let's call it the ABC model, was the model for me. I told him I didn't want the high upper edition with the leather seats, etc., but I didn't want the base model either. The ABC was perfect. I drove one. I liked it. I negotiated a price. We came to agreement and shook hands. I signed a million papers, being careful to check all the figures. Here's where it gets tricky.

They make you sign off on everything to do with the car delivery before they actually deliver it. Then when they do drive it up to you, all you want to do is buckle in and bust out of there. The first thing I noticed when I opened my new car door was the driver's seat---manual instead of power. What's that, I asked Salesman X. Here was his answer. "I don't know." Also missing on the car was the keyless entry system. He still didn't know, but said he would look into it. Okay, I already know, this was the point when I should have leaped out of the car, held up my cloves of garlic, and said no way! I won't accept this car! That's what I should have done, but I didn't. I drove away and started calling Salesman X who assured me he would take care of it. They gave me the base model instead of the ABC. There are more details, but I don't want to get into them just yet. So now I have a car that I don't like and don't want. It's new, though, and when this wedding gets past, I will be in attack mode. If they don't make me happy, you may be sure that their names will be plastered all over this blog.
Still Living the Dream
love,
becky

8 Comments:

At 11:16 AM , Blogger Maggie Dana said...

Love your elegant hands, but am distressed over car saga. If dealer doesn't provide car you ordered, let me know and I'll smear him all over Twitter!

 
At 5:03 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

I am grinding my teeth in sympathy with you re car. You must not let them get away with it. They see women coming those car guys. Grrrr.

 
At 5:04 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Congratulations on your son's wedding btw! :)

 
At 8:52 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Thanks, Maggie and Kay, for car sympathy. I am going in there tomorrow for a "talk." Wedding was great, will post pix.

b

 
At 11:49 AM , Blogger sandman1 said...

Argh -- lousy car dealers! I can't help but think there is a small connection to the cheating in pro sports too -- anything to get ahead is the example being set. If they offer you aftermarket parts in compensation, bring up the warranty. Actually, an extended warranty might be something you could get for compensation (insist on a factory one, not just one good at that dealer). You could also call the parent company's consumer line -- they might be able to help.

Give 'em hell!

 
At 12:49 PM , Blogger sandman1 said...

To wit: I was just flipping through one of those in-flight magazines I brought home for no reason and there's a fold-out ad for some success seminar, the front of which proclaims in huge text "It's like steroids for your career." The topic is "effective negotiating." The last name of the guy behind it (and company name) is Karrass -- how fitting. The sign-up page has a long list of companies whose employees get a discount if they sign up, allegedly because those companies have some kind of license agreement with them, and every major car company is on the list.

 
At 1:01 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Thanks, sm. It's kind of ruining my weekend, dreading the thought of going back in there. I will have a full report. Funny about the steroids career thing---how apt.

 
At 2:20 PM , Blogger sandman1 said...

Sorry to hear about the dread -- I know exactly what that's like, and there's really no solution for it that I know other than getting it over with. As I get older I am getting better about not being invested in the outcome (e.g. whether or not I successfully get out of a ticket; recent record 1-and-1).

I was watching a movie western yesterday (Appaloasa) and started wondering if cars really were better than horses or not. As much as I like having a car, those movie horses seemed more versatile and I it wasn't immediately obvious to me that they were less trouble to own than the series of cars I'd have over the same lifetime... And you might get shot by the law while roaring around on your horse, but I didn't see anyone writing speeding tickets!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home