Sunday, February 28, 2010

Slumber Party

5pm. The party starts. There is one guest--Maeve, my granddaughter. One hostess--me. Difference in age: vast. CENSORED. Difference in energy level: vast. Very vast. The most vast.

Cute Sleeping Kitten

The entertainment varies from 101 Dalmatians (viewed approximately four times)No. 11


to How The Grinch Stole Christmas , viewed approximately 3 times. Enjoyment of the Grinch is enhanced at my house because my fiberoptic Christmas tree still stands in the den window. Maeve asked for it to be lit and so what the heck, I plugged it in. I wonder what passing motorists might have thought. There goes Motew, out of whack again, I suppose.

Anyway, I am an expert on these films now. If you have any questions at all, dear reader, feel free to ask . By the fourth Dalmatian viewing, I was wondering how the man and woman, owners of the dogs, supported themselves, since the husband did nothing from morning to night except sit in the attic and write music. They have a maid too! An amiably plump housekeeper who looks an awful lotlike the Bibbity Bobbity Boo godmother in Cinderella.
Don't you think I'm right, dear reader?

While we're at it, Cruella DeVil is supposed to be an old school chum of the wife's, but looks at least twenty years older with a big swath of gray hair.

Right? Am I right?

But whatever.

Who's counting and all that?

In the name of pre-school entertainment, we relax our analytical scrutiny.



We play Trivial Pursuit. Well, we throw the die from the Trivial Pursuit game and count the little pieces that are attached to the game. Some I fear may now be embedded into the carpet.

We eat dinner. Well, Grandma Becky eats, but Maeve ingests approximately one half of a Pepperidge Farm chocolate chip cookie.

Bedtime begins at 8pm. It is not successful. We come downstairs for one more viewing of 101 Dalmatians.

I can't exactly remember everything after that. I think there was snoring and kicking by hostess and guest. There was definitely sleep deprivation, from which I am still suffering.

Anyway, it was fun and I look forward to the next one. And, uh, I need to buy more movies.




A rivedercci con amore
A bientot,
becky

6 Comments:

At 9:40 PM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Oh I just LOVE that! Well written Grandma (or whatever your venerable title be). I have experienced all of what you write ... Grandkids. They're universal! And so cool! BTW - what a cool grandmother you make! (Looking nothing like Bibbity Boppity Boo!)

 
At 2:32 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Thanks, Kay! I didn't know you had five of the creatures....you are a pro. I felt a bit overhwhelmed, but will continue learning. :)

 
At 6:24 PM , Blogger Mark said...

See, you knew that Christmas tree would come in handy for something. I bet Maeve thought it was the best - she'll be pestering her parents for another sleepover soon. If you do get some more DVDs, Ice Age (one and two, haven't seen three yet) is a good laugh, even after multiple viewings.

Re: Cruella DeVil, that's what being nasty will do to you!

 
At 6:33 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Everthing you say is true, Marky Mark. Thanks for the tip on Ice Age. I will get it. :)

 
At 3:14 AM , Blogger Eileen said...

Welcome to a normal day in my life... 1 grandchild = 4 rotten cats. Of course, I can't have a Christmas tree lest the little rotters climb it to death, but the rest of the day sounded like what we do together. Well, board games are strictly for throwing around the little pieces, but other than that... yeah, right, I need a life.

 
At 7:03 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

How do you do it, Eileen? I was exhausted for two days.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home