Sunday, March 21, 2010

Did You Guess Pawleys Island, South Carolina?


Pawleys Island is just below Myrtle Beach, so lots of golfers are everywhere. You see groups of them, many in shorts, some with big stomachs, breakfasting here and there and enjoying grits! (I didn't get a picture of them, dear reader, but I did chat with a few--golfers, not grits!)
You see lovely silvery beaches.




It feels so good to take your jacket off after a long winter in New England.




My dear friend Dana lives there and loves it.

Here she is pointing out a spelling error in a sign, which I failed to get in the shot We are always pointing out something.

Also just noticing signs.



Here is one we liked at a beauty shop.



But I digress.






Spring is further along down there. I went for a walk with my camera and drank in the sights.








Of which there were many.







This Spanish moss hangs over all the trees in some places. It's eerie and gothic. It makes me think of William Faulkner and "A Rose for Emily."

Or my main girl Scarlett O'Hara. "I'll never be hungry again!" Believe me, there was little chance of that on this trip.





Palm trees abound. Tourists like to see those. Nothing says "tropical" like they do, even if it is a little chilly.






Yikes! This what you call a walk hastener.

A walk speeder-upper.

I kept thinking of Steve Irwin--"she's a real beauty!"



The IntraCoastal waterway goes through Pawleys Island, so you can stroll over and see that.

Boats and more boats. But let's get to the big stuff.





That's right. Stein Mart. The real thing. I've been waiting four years to go back. I never get to go to the one in Arkansas because I never have the time.
It was heaven.



I came within a hair of buying this raincoat, dear reader. A hair!
But I was strong!
I bought shoes instead.





We saw the Jeff Bridges movie. For a while, we were the only ones in the theatre. Where was everybody at 11:40 in the morning? Yeesh.

The movie was good. I wanted to see a sexy guy kiss a girl and I got what I paid for.



Free oysters on St. Patrick's Day? Yup, you heard that right.
As many as you wanted. This was at the Hot Fish Club and I think it was in Murrell's Inlet.






The bartender is very cute and was rooting for West Virginia in the tournament.








Meanwhile, Dana had never been to Sonic and had never tasted a cherry limeade.

That situation is rectified.





I know what this might look like. But this is Dana using a straw to suck the air out of a package she is mailing to her daughter.
That girl knows her household tricks.


There were other sights, dear reader, but these are the ones I can show you.

To Dana, Chuck, and Bogie--thank you! I had a blast and completely forgot everything else about my life. [that's good because as I was enjoying myself down there, a foot of water was rising in my basement]
I wish I was still there. Sigh.
A bientot
love,becky

12 Comments:

At 9:58 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Love the Scarlett O'Hara quote. I'll dance with you! Who killed RHETT? It's never been written, until NOW! www.deathofrhett.blogspot.com

 
At 1:21 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Thanks for posting, Peter. I'll check out your blog.

 
At 2:07 AM , Blogger sandman1 said...

I keep picturing people leaning in and scrutinizing that Alligators sign, running over the finer points, allowing wily gators to sneak up and chomp their ankles. Walk speeder-upper-and-don't-even-slow-down-to-looker!

Love the beauty shop name too...

 
At 7:07 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Yeah, sm, the sign made me nervous and I did not stop for any scrutinizing. You kind of glance around at all times. And don't leave your small pets outside.

 
At 9:34 AM , Blogger Kristina said...

In "The Blues Brothers," Carrie Fisher plays a psycho ex-girlfriend who works at a beauty shop called "Curl Up and Dye."

What a terrific time! And fun blog, as always.

 
At 9:51 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

How do you remember that stuff, Kris? Your brain is a steel trap. Nice going.

 
At 3:03 PM , Blogger Kristina said...

I'm an incurable movie re-watcher. I've seen that one more than a few times.

 
At 12:03 AM , Blogger Eileen said...

Before you start entertaining thoughs of re-locating, remember: No Hannafords in S. Carolina!

Hope your vacation is/was swell.

 
At 12:05 AM , Blogger Eileen said...

Oops, forgot something (like anyone cares...)

"Curl Up & Dye" was the name of the beauty salon where Carrie Fischer's character worked in "The Blues Brothers." The fact that I remember that scares me, since I can't remember the password for this site w/o help!

 
At 6:13 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

You're so right, Eileen--I could never live without Hannaford's. The drama of waiting for them to say thank you is one I couldn't survive without. I guess the owner of that salon must be a fan of BB. Go figure.

 
At 6:18 PM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Thank you SO much for sharing your holiday piccies! What a lovely friend ... isn't spending time with a friend just the best thing? (I want to see the JB movie - love the photo of you in the theatre). All the photos told a story ... the cute barman with a pen stuck behind his ear - haven't seen anyone do that for yonks. Again, thanks for the report, I was there with ya! (Hope the basement situation wasn't too horrendous to sort out).

 
At 6:26 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Thanks, Kay. Spending time with a friend is the BEST. You are so right.
I need to get down in the basement and clean out. UGH.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home