Sunday, July 23, 2006

One Week Left

Only one week left in beautiful gorgeous July, the only perfect month in New England. Thankfully, I will only miss one day of it since I don't travel to Arkansas until July 31. Off to the Cool Whip Quest.

Rainy weekend here, not so perfect as I said. I feel so secure and snug with my new roof, even though my bay window might blow out at any moment. I wish a bunch of guys with chainsaws would saunter through my property and take down a whole bunch of trees. Those tree guys get $300 PER TREE. MY GOD!!! I could easily spend six grand on tree removal. I don't THINK so. The squirrels look down with a bit of smugness, knowing this. I DON"T THINK SHE'S PAYING FOR THAT!!!!

I can hear the lawnmowers going now that the rain is over. In Arkansas, at least in Little Rock, you always see the women mowing the lawn, not the men. I wouldn't want that to catch on here. I hate to even mention it.

I was at a friend's house the other night and we saw a family of owls in the barn next door. It was dusk and hard to get a good look, but it was pretty exciting. There seemed to be at least four of them flying out of the barn and all around, making noise too. Like a twittering, not a "hoo" as generally reported.

Giant turtles make a "WHO" sound when mating, I was told. One turtle is on top of the other one (not a totally original idea) and the bottom one says "WHO?" I guess maybe the top one then says "ME!" Or maybe "ME, WHOOO DO YOU THINK?" There's no accounting for animal behavior.

My daughter-in-law had a lizard that grew to be 5 feet long. Her mother (my d-i-l's mother, not the lizard's) used to let it run around in the house and she said delivery people were afraid of it, particularly the mailman. Can you believe this? It's name was Zamboni. It would crawl up the curtains and pull down the curtain rod and the entire curtain apparatus bang!! onto the floor. The mother eventually donated it to the University of Connecticut and the lizard now travels in a circulating scholarly presentation of some kind. Watch for it if you live near UConn.

We're in the middle of civil twilight right now--I hope everyone is being as civil as possible. SHUT UP--OH NO I'M SORRY, COULD YOU KEEP YOUR VOICE DOWN?

Good manners are so rare.

A bientot
becky
still not writing

3 Comments:

At 8:33 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

What a breezy, funny post - I am enjoying your book SO much! (I left a comment about it in reply to your comment on my blog) ... what a mouthful!
I don't want to read it too fast because it'll all be over - i hate it when good books come to an end.

 
At 9:50 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Wow, THANK YOU, Chief, very kind of you. [big huge smile]
b

 
At 2:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read » »

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home