Saturday, January 19, 2008

New Glasses

I've heard of wearing your heart on your sleeve, and I'm one who does most of the time except when I'm being a Complete or Partial Bitch, but can you see this gal from 1936? Couldn't they have picked Wallis Simpson or somebody a bit more chic?





Maybe Wallis didn't wear glasses, especially after becoming Duchess of Lah Dee Dah Windsor. God, imagine being her maid. Imagine the living hell that would be your life.

YOUR GRACE! I'VE FINISHED IRONING ALL YOUR BRIEFS!

OH DEAR! WERE THOSE FOR YOUR HUSBAND?



I'm not going to get off track here. I am shopping for eyeglasses and it's most confusing.


These are DKNY frames and very chic. It's the rectangular shape that makes them so. I'm not stupid. I can recognize this since 9 out of 10 frames look exactly like these.

These are Polo frames and also chic. I walked around with a tiger stripe version of these on at Lenscrafter yesterday. The problem is my vision is so bad that in order to see what the frames actually look like, I either have to wear them over my real glasses or wear the real glasses over them. It's what you call lose/lose. Or blind leading the blind. I cain't see it, mummy.
Sophia LorenThey say your chest actually starts enlarging if you wear Sophia Loren frames but mine didn't. They should try giving away a free Wonderbra with every purchase. Hey, I know my coupons, remember?

But I like those little rectangular doobers. I think I will be hard-headed and hard-nosed in those. And possibly write a better book.

Some of them are rather small, though, and I asked the consultant if I looked like I was wearing swim goggles.

She said no.

Tanning goggles?


She still said no and this time looked a little wary. Do you suppose they get weird-o's in there?

So now I'm thinking it over. I will probably use the same strategy I do with restaurant menus--make a split-second decision when I have to.

Stay tuned, dear reader.
Go Pats. Go Tommy Boy (don't forget my table hockey challenge)!

A bientot
love,
becky

7 Comments:

At 12:28 PM , Blogger sandman1 said...

I need new glasses too because I don't really like mine, and haven't for years. I wear contact lenses so the annoyance from the glasses is sort of a nights-and-weekends deal.

My glasses are of the more modern (though not chic), smaller oval variety, and that's what I don't like. It's probably partly the particular ones I have, but there's a lot less of the world in focus above and below and I don't like that. Actually the sides aren't great either. Straight ahead is passable. I didn't appreciate this until after I had them home a bit.

Anyway, even though I just put up with this myself, I'm going to boldly (hypocritically?) recommend that you try to avoid the same. Isn't it Lenscrafters that advertises some deal where you bring it back in a month if you don't love it and get another for free until you find the right ones? Might be a good bet.

 
At 2:03 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Interesting, sm. My regular ones are sort of oval too. But my new ones--just purchased!!!--are rectangular and reach farther on each side. I love them so far, but my eyes are still dilated so who knows. I hope I don't look like Cat woman.

b

 
At 3:04 PM , Blogger sandman1 said...

I'm glad I didn't deter you from success -- you've given me some hope for my next pair!

 
At 5:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

um, I'm not so sure I wouldn't be into looking like cat woman (a la Michelle P or Halle B minus the tacky pleather suit of course. But hey, to each her own, I suppose.) Congrats on the new glasses. :)

Go Pats.

 
At 10:34 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

You know, Twizzle, when you put it like that, you're right. Cat Woman is okay. I just don't want to look like George Burns with the thick black frames, you know?
b

 
At 10:12 AM , Blogger Kristina said...

I keep hoping my son will break my glasses so I will have a reason to buy new ones. My prescription hasn't changed in eight years, so neither have the frames, which are very dull oval shaped wire frames. I'd like frames that are just a teensy bit cat-eye.

Actually, I'd prefer Lasik. When I was a nearsighted kid I'd dream about a magical medical procedure that would fix my eyes and make them perfect.

Voila, such a thing exists: the wonders of modern medicine.

And I can't afford it. The wonder of modern capitalism. THAT wasn't part of my childhood dream...

 
At 12:57 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Someone was just telling me, Kristina, that lasik doesn't always work. Or it doesn't work completely. Wow, what a bummer THAT would be, eh?

Try leaving your glasses in the driveway.
b

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home