Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Lessons Learned in 2008




First and always, feel the joy. Be open to it.
And then....


1) SHOES MATTER.
For the first time in my life, I traveled to Europe, both London and Paris. Uncomfortable shoes can severely impair the joy. You won't be able to walk five miles a day in these.

They look good, though, don't they? I reluctantly agree that it is NOT better to look good than to feel good, at least not in every situation. We Americans, or maybe it's just American women, have an inordinate fear of wearing the wrong shoes and, well, looking like an American.


I especially, who wear $5 canvas boat shoes from WalMart, feel this challenge and take it to heart. But the day I snuck on the boat shoes and walked from County Hall on the Thames all the way to St. Paul's was liberating. I could have kept going all the way to Oxford. In Paris, my choices were uncomfortable boots, uncomfortable shoes and the hastily stowed away boat shoes again. Don't look too closely at the photo of me at the Louvrah or you will see what my choice was that day.

2) SHOES DON'T MATTER
Women always think that things would have gone better if "only I'd worn cuter shoes." I'm going to settle this once and for all. No. They wouldn't have. And while we're on the subject, here's the thing about emotions in general.
Your emotions are like your gall bladder. They're in there. They're real. They're right alongside your gall bladder, as a matter of fact and you might as well think of them that way. Too many people try to deny their emotions. Well of course I love Charlie. He's my boyfriend, isn't he? [I'M REALLY GETTING BORED WITH CHARLIE AND I CAN'T STAND THE WAY HE PICKS HIS NOSE] That guy Ricky? I don't care about him. [I WILL DRIVE FIFTEEN MINUTES OUT OF MY WAY TO TRY AND RUN INTO RICKY AND MY HEART BEATS A LITTLE FASTER WHEN I SEE HIM, ESPECIALLY WHEN STUPID CHARLIE IS WITH ME] Admit the truth, whatever it is. You will feel much much better and probably your gall bladder will too.
Now I'm not saying you should say this stuff out loud at Hannaford's or even to your friends. I'm saying you admit it to yourself and maybe a close friend. I'm fearful. I'm angry. Whatever it is. As long as you are honest with yourself, you can keep up the false pretense that you need to in public. Are you with me, dear reader? Are you scratching your head?

3) WORK MATTERS.

It's important to do good work. It's important to do work in general. I hate not doing work. But.....

4) WORK DOESN'T MATTER.
Some kinds of work, like washing windows, will be there forever. What's the point?

And so what have I learned? A thing is true and yet so is the opposite. Excuse me while I run outside and bang my head on a tree. Hopefully, I will deter a squirrel from trying to enter a house where there is too much thinking. I end today with what was for me a truly amazing sight. It's blue just for this year, dear reader. Can you guess what it is? love,b
Photobucket

10 Comments:

At 2:10 AM , Blogger sandman1 said...

[scratch scratch]

:-)

 
At 8:31 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Uh oh. What was I thinking? Or do you not recognize the photo, sm? Hint: It's blue this year to honor the EU.

b

 
At 11:17 AM , Blogger sandman1 said...

Oh bien sûr, I recognize La Tour alright (ah oui, it's very nice!). I was scratching about numero deux...

 
At 11:27 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Ah yes, what was I talking about? Plain old blather, that's what. :)

 
At 11:46 PM , Blogger sandman1 said...

Sometimes it's fine line between blather and profound wisdom. Is that guy talking loudly to himself in the soup aisle half insane or a frustrated genius? Hard to tell.

 
At 11:25 PM , Blogger sandman1 said...

Hmm, sometimes it's a wide, thick line though -- I think my strange soup-aisle analogy reads back as pure blather! (And I certainly didn't mean to suggest you're half insane!)

 
At 11:58 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Hey, I've always been a proud customer in the strange soup aisle--no problem, sand.

:)

 
At 11:48 AM , Blogger musiclover.56 said...

Amazing photo of the Eiffel Tower, Becky - did you take it yourself? Isn't Paris amazing? Last time I was there I chucked the high-heels and meandered all round in my runners - quelle joie!
Love
Marie Therese

 
At 2:53 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Yes, I did take it Marie Therese, and the frustrating thing is--it's a movie!!! I need to get my son here to show me how I can make it live on the blog. Thanks.

b

 
At 4:22 PM , Blogger musiclover.56 said...

Wow - that should be brilliant! Really looking forward to seeing it. You're just like me (though I'm extremely impressed by your blog) - when I need techie help with my computer, I turn to my son, who's the original computer nerd!
Love
Marie Therese

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home