Saturday, January 27, 2007

Squirrel Vigilance



This is where I look for the little suckers and sometimes they fall from the upper roof into this view. If I had a gun, I would shoot them without remorse, although my yuppie neighbors might have some objections. I have had a trap out here on my roof in the past and it has worked quite well. At one time I caught 13 or 14 fine writhing specimens, then transported them to a nearby park. It was a good system in its way, but I started to wonder if I was actually attracting MORE of them with my trap.

HEY. YOU CAN USUALLY FIND PEANUTS UP ON THAT ROOF, YOU KNOW.

NO KIDDING. WHERE'S BILL?

I DON'T KNOW. BILL HASN'T BEEN SEEN SINCE HE WENT UP THERE. IN FACT, NONE OF OUR FRIENDS EVER COME BACK WHEN THEY GO TO GET ONE OF THOSE PEANUTS.

YOU SUPPOSE THERE'S SOMETHING TO IT? LIKE A BERMUDA TRIANGLE KIND OF THING?

COULD BE. I MIGHT GIVE IT A TRY ANYWAY.


Squirrels are stupid but more persistent than any human. My father once had an expensive bird feeder filled with seed, which the squirrels naturally wouldn't leave alone. Dad said he was determined not to let them get the best of the situation, but guess what? In the end he surrendered. Why? Because the squirrel was willing to give his whole day to the problem and my dad wasn't.

In other news, I have given up my DW book. Dalliance Woman is dead but not forgotten. Adultery is not funny, some say. I of course say--why not? But it will have to wait for another time.

Meanwhile, I'm working on something about a nun. How's that for a 180? My nun is an ex-nun, though, and entering the world for the first time at age 43.

My new semester is going well, lots of enthusiasm as always. Little do they know I am a wildlife trapper of great skill.







Here, boy! Come get this peanut!







A bientot
love,
Becky

1 Comments:

At 4:16 PM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Squirrels may look cute but I guess they are like our possums ... a pest. We have had to trap possums too in the past. I recoil a little tho' - I don't particularly like squirmy, furry animals as a rule - up close. Or dead - like the mouse our cats plonked on the laundry floor for me to find this morning. Yerks!
I'm sure DW will re-surface somewhere else in another form perhaps? The latest idea sounds like it will be fun to work with. Go for it and have fun. Have you got a title yet?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home