Sunday, January 21, 2007

My Real Home


Of all the places we spend time certainly our legal residence probably logs in at the highest number of hours. After all, we sleep there in addition to eating and reading and doing anacrostic puzzles or whatever it is that the rest of you do.

After that might be our place of employment. We log a few hours there too.

But after that, for most women anyway, it's our local grocery. We walk into this establishment in the summer, in the winter, in the fall and spring. We trigger that automatic door in the rain, in the bright sunshine, in the sleet and snow and whether we have poinsettias in our hands, Halloween candy, or Super Bowl snacks (coming soon).

I think it's truly remarkable that I almost never see anyone I know here. Considering that every one of my neighbors undoubtedly shops here, most people from my street and even my town walk in that door, it shocks me that I never see them.









Most of us can walk through our regular grocery blindfolded. I certainly could. Here is the grape department where all too frequently the specimens are a bit soft. The prices are not cheap either and I frequently spend five bucks on grapes. They are an essential part of my South Beachy weight loss regimen. Lately I have been seeing customers removing grapes from these plastic bags and putting them into different plastic bags. I haven't had the nerve to ask them why they were doing this.
BECAUSE I FEEL LIKE IT.
BECAUSE I ONLY WANT A BAG THAT I PICKED OUT.
BECAUSE I WANT SOMEONE TO ASK ME ABOUT IT.

There are plenty of weird people in the grocery. A woman stopped me recently and asked me if I used colored Kleenex. I said I did. She said you really shouldn't because, and I apologize for this, when you blow your nose and then look at what you have blown, you won't be able to tell with colored Kleenex if you have an infection.

These people shop at my grocery.







Name the two words in this sign that you will never hear inside the store.
That's right, dear reader. I shan't belabor the point.

Okay, I have this out of my system. At ease.

A bientot
love,
becky

3 Comments:

At 1:44 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Ah thank you for the enlightenment re Hannafords. Yep - we have the equivalent over here too - altho' we have about three supermarkets we frequent. And like you, it is not my most favourite thing to do. But I have never had someone stop me and ask me if I use coloured tissues ...AND thenproceeded to gross me out by telling me why! THAT is weird and very ... how shall I put this politely ... American? Just kidding!!! ;)

 
At 7:44 AM , Blogger Mark said...

No offence becky, but nose-blowing woman might have thought you were a bit strange taking photos of grapes too. Are those jars of preserved fruits in the background?

 
At 8:28 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

You're so right, Chief. It's gross in the American way. Yes, I think those are jars of fruit, Mark. But I was so nervous taking the picture I didn't get a close look. I could never be a corporate spy.

b

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home