Sunday, April 12, 2009

Becky's Hall of Fame


In order to merit inclusion in the BHF, an object must have served for more than a few years. It must have always performed in a manner pleasing to her. This lets out most humans. See that microwave? It's a Johnny-Come-Lately. It will never be in. But the saucepan right there, perched a bit precariously I admit, hits a ten. It holds a lot, it doesn't boil too fast, and it cleans up well. In fact, I may start dating it. It evokes an earlier era with its graceful Harvest Gold presentation. What has it not held in its generous interior? Soup, pasta, experimental food items, even rainwater in the dining room window. It has served as a temporary jury-rigged double boiler for chocolate mousse pie and a jaunty last-minute addition to a drunken costume . And so, hats off to this proud representative of the cookware group, one that came into Camp Becky as a member of a color-coordinated ensemble, but has survived its companion pans by at least a decade. [ed. note: I'm dumping this beast soon: the Teflon is worn off and it takes more effort to scrub the broccoli stains out than I possess these days. But give it a little glory before it goes]
Okay then. Alongside the pan and indeed they have often served in tandem, is this trusty colander. Made of flimsy plastic, it has held up for thirty years. Can that be right? I wasn't born then, was I? You may notice the melted spot/indentation on the side of it. That must have been a memorable pouring of something and I wish I could remember it. [This baby is gonzo too]
The mug says University of Illinois on the side of it. It's old. It's embossed in gold leaf and has endured decades of dishwashing. It has a big crack down the interior side and is probably not safe for drinking. Also a couple of chipped places. But a great handle. Really, you can't say enough about the handle. Imagine the pleasure in hoisting this baby. I will never throw it out.
My daughter gave me this and not that many years ago, but I love it so much it's being included with today's honorees. It's one of those mutant briefcase/handbag items and black patent leather and it looks very professional and swish. Carrying it makes me feel that way too.
I purchased these boots around 20 years ago in the Greendale Mall in Worcester. I think I paid $16. They are as awesome today as they ever were. They look equestrian/military/dominatrix, plus they are completely comfortable. Perhaps I will be buried in them. They have been called Mistress of the Stables boots and that is a good term for them too. They are just starting to lose their black color on the heels, but a little Magic Marker between friends has always been allowed, eh, dear reader?
"Edgar Allan Poe was a fictional writer."
"The Byzantines had a very hard time keeping barbarians out of their boarders."
A bientot
love,
becky

9 Comments:

At 9:07 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

This post made me smile so deeply I felt tears in my eyes - yes dear writer it is so!
(Please don't throw away that dear little yellow pot - ummm -saucepan ...)
The two quotes are priceless!

 
At 10:29 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Thanks, Kay. Oh, I fear the pan has to go. It and about fifty other gewgaws in my cupboards. Maybe I will post about that task soon.

b

 
At 11:20 PM , Blogger sandman1 said...

I have a laundry basket much like that colander. I replaced it years ago but then found having two baskets was handy so I still have it...

Hope your Easter basket went over well -- when reading your post I was struck by how many of the traditions of an Easter basket didn't exist 100 years ago. Jellybeans, Peeps, and plastic grass all sounded right to me, yet they're pretty recent in the grander scheme of things. (My favorite treat was the Easter version of those marshmallow-ish circus peanuts...)

 
At 1:28 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Perhaps you could grow something in it? (I have promoted myself to Chairperson of STYP.)

 
At 7:10 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Good idea, Madame Chair!

sm, my mother LOVED those circus peanuts! I forgot about those! They're not the worst and won't pull out your fillings like jelly beans. Maeve enjoyed the EB. I felt a little guilty when she dumped it all on the floor. :)
b
haha, the word verification for me is "lucosing."

 
At 10:21 PM , Blogger sandman1 said...

As in one letter shy of "glucosing" on Easter candy??

 
At 10:31 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Yup!!!

And now it's "tutbarni"--little known hedge fund spinoff of Smith Barney.

 
At 10:36 PM , Blogger sandman1 said...

Or maybe a discount Egyptian clothing store -- this week only, half-price golden serpent headdresses! C'mon down to Tut Barn the First!

(I wish I could say I was loopy on E-candy, but actually I'm just this way naturally...)

 
At 9:47 PM , Blogger Kristina said...

Those pesky barbarians!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home