Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Dichotomy

So many things that are true have opposites that are true as well.
Such as?
"Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these." Yeah, yeah, don't worry, be happy. We know this.
But also consider-- "God helps those who help themselves." Hmmmm.
"Absence makes the heart grow fonder" is true, of course.
But also true is the opposite: "out of sight, out of mind."
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me.
True enough. But really, names CAN hurt. Names can hurt worse than any sticks. Words are powerful.

What does this all mean? I don't know.

I was planning to give a list of tearjerker songs today for no reason. Just sometimes you're in the mood, you know?
For my money, LOVE HURTS by my main man Roy O is the premier tearjerker song of all times. I hate to say it, but my girlfriend and I played it over and over and over the day after President Kennedy was shot [although I couldn't have been born yet].
It just makes you feel so weepy and sometimes weepy is good.
REASON TO BELIEVE by Rod Stewart gets me every time.
"Knowing that you lied straight-faced while I cried.."
ARE YOU LONESOME TONIGHT? Theme song for all booty calls.
When you're ready to stop feeling sorry for yourself, give a listen to REO Speedwagon's TIME FOR ME TO FLY. A great song of freedom "I make you laugh and you make me cry." That's not a good paradigm, dude.
Oops, fifty cent word.
And finally, when you're feeling good again, try a little Patty Smith and Scandal doing GOODBYE TO YOU. If that doesn't get you out of your seat and doing a little righteous karaoke, then you are too far gone for help.

I'd forgotten how good music is. Music helps your life.
A bientot
love,
b

6 Comments:

At 10:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Booty call? Now THAT hurts.

 
At 10:37 PM , Blogger sandman1 said...

The internet is amazing -- I could listen to snippets of each of those with a quick search in iTunes. Ten years ago you would have had to make us a mix tape! (Okay mix CD.) Also amazing is that iTunes has over 60 copies of that Elvis tune (greatest hits, live, studio, tribute albums, karaoke, you name it...)

I agree about music -- certainly beats economic news on the radio hands-down! It's harder for me to work (effectively) with music on than it used to be though -- I attribute that to the increasing mushiness between my ears...

 
At 6:59 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 7:27 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

I go for years without listening to music, sm, and then get turned on to it all over again. And all the songs are new!!! Yaay!!

Anon--well, how would you define booty call? Certainly one type, at least in the eyes of women, is a guy from the past, usually one who took off without notice, one who inflicted great pain on his way out--"cad" might be the old-fashioned word, who shows up out of the blue one night speaking sweet words and looking for a little temporary love. I dunno. I could be wrong.

 
At 8:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, usually, booty calls are made within driving distance, you know -- so two people could actually get together. I dunno. I could be wrong.

Maybe he just wanted to see how the girl was doing, find out about her writing.

 
At 2:30 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

I take your point, Anon. And I trust you take mine.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home