Sunday, February 15, 2009

If I Could Be in a Painting

I love Matisse for his wallpaper of course. No one does better swirly patterns than he and I believe I could spend eternity in this dining room looking out at the lovely lawn, even if I had to be a servant. Someone has been in here recently, drinking liqueur and making a mess of these fruit trays. But they are easy to fix and give me a good chance to leave a note in with the lemons. It's all part of the secret correspondence I have going on with the butler. Oh, you didn't think I'd be fooling around with the stable boy, did you? God.

matisse_thedessert.png
After leaving the note, I have to take my excitement and go to my room. Here I am in Woman Reading, trying to contain myself. I save my lover's notes and read them in private. I almost have some of them memorized. I have to be careful and so pull myself into the corner. I like to think no one can find me.

My mother would have said, "You're going to put your eyes out"and indeed it is a bit dark in here, but you know these old houses. Lots of tchotschkes on that bureau and it looks a bit mussed, but you know, I just don't have the time. My sweetheart has given me all these pretty things, including the unfinished painting lying on its side next to me. It will be so much fun to find a place for it on the wall. He says it is of his ancestor, but I think it isn't.


I do love the family I serve, especially the young mother and daughter. Here they are in Moorish Screen. The husband has just taken them to Turkey to purchase this extravagant item and it now has to be displayed prominently in the parlor. They have continuous parties for their friends to come view it and that gives me a lot of work. Even Madame gets a bit weary of it and I think you can see that in the way she leans on the mantelpiece. I mended the girl's pink dress and she does look charming with her maman.
matisse.jpg
Later, when they have gone to the opera, I practice my etudes. I am a brilliant composer but no one knows it. This is called The Pianist. Again I like this room because of the wallpaper.
Matisse Pianist (1924)
Finally, I go for a walk and get a Glimpse of Notre Dame in the Late Afternoon.
Click to view full-sized image

Thanks to the great and wonderful HM. Bloopers next time, dear reader.
A bientot
love,
becky

2 Comments:

At 2:12 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

What a fantastic idea to put yourself into the painting and write about it - it is so natural - that's just what we do when we look at paintings. But you've taken it that one step farther. You have a wonderful writing voice Becky!
The paintings are adorable. I agree about the wallpaper.

 
At 8:26 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Golly thanks, Kay. Yes, I think everyone does it and that's what I enjoy about art in the end. Making up stuff--harhar.
b

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home