Thursday, January 15, 2009

Becky Goes Techno and also Rants about FaceBook

OMG, dear reader. Wait till you see this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYk7xYnfoiM

Wasn't it great? She is blue this year because Nicholas Sarkozy is president of the EU. That is why the stars are there as well.

Thank you. Thank you very much. The stutter stop is all my own technique.

Okay, so now I thought I would try to address some of the important issues of our day, the first one of course, and what else would it be, being Face Book.

Can I just say this? GOD.


And then what about this? GOOD GRIEF!
And WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO?
And finally if I may, I'M JUMPING OFF THIS BUILDING IF PEOPLE DON'T STOP TELLING ME EVERY LITTLE THING THEY'RE DOING.

My original FB complaint last summer was that everyone was sending everyone else hibiscuseseses. That at least has stopped. Now they send obscure little things that seem to imply private jokes, which ordinarily you'd think I would enjoy analyzing, but I don't.
JAMES WILSON SENT MARSHA SMITH A RECORDING OF E. FARNSWORTH PARSLEY'S "I WANNA CLIP YOUR HERBS."
Huh?
Or they send inane New Agey platitudes.
JAMES WILSON SENDS KARMIC GOOD WILL AND PEACE TO MARSHA SMITH AND ALSO THE CURRENT TRAVEL SCHEDULE OF HIS WIFE.
ELIZABETH SCHMIDT SENDS PEACE AND KARMIC GOOD WILL TO THE UPS DELIVERY GUY ON HER STREET, OR POSSIBLY IT'S THE FEDEX GUY. THE ONE WITH THE GOATEE.
MARSHA THOMPSON SENDS LOVE AND KARMIC GOOD WILL TO ALL HER BROTHERS AND SISTERS IN THE HUMAN COMMUNITY EXCEPT HER ASSHOLE BOYFRIEND.

There are quizes you can take, such as Which Care Bear Are You? I am not kidding. I don't want to take that one, because I don't want to scare anybody--YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE, MY LITTLE PRETTY AND I'LL EAT YOU IF YOUR MOTHER TURNS HER BACK. I LIVE IN THE ZOO WHERE THEY DO WHAT I TELL THEM AND THERE ARE PLENTY OF BEAR WHORES AND COCAINE. Wait, I'm getting confused with other quizes, such as Which Diva Are You or Which Broadway Star? I am clearly Patty Lupone and Sara Brightman, just without the talent.
Who's going to check anyway?
The choices for posting seem to be:
1) profound and somewhat ambiguous statement such as BECKY MOTEW IS THINKING THINGS OVER.
2) very specific and mundane detail such as BECKY MOTEW WILL BUY TOILET PAPER TODAY OR KNOW THE REASON WHY.
3) announcing friendship: BECKY MOTEW AND JOHNNY DEPP ARE NOW FRIENDS.
4) announcing change in friendship: BECKY MOTEW AND JOHNNY DEPP ARE NOW A LITTLE MORE THAN FRIENDS.
5) announcing anything at all about relationships: BECKY MOTEW IS NOW UNDER A RESTRAINING ORDER BY THE LAH-DEE-DAH MR. DEPP AND SENDS HIM EVIL KARMA.



You also have to remember that every single one of your "friends" can see what you post. Do you really want to send pulsating karmic good will to someone with your friends' kids watching? Yikes. And speaking of that, I'm about to go on a FB purge. One of the friends I have, and I don't know how I got him, recently posted that he had invited two other female "friends" to share his "lollipop." Yuck. Of course I only have 50 friends (posting under a different name) and I hate to go under that number. So I might have to keep this guy for a while.

Until I find a replacement.


Surely they won't come up with anything worse, right? Although can you say "twitter"?
A bientot
love,
becky


p.s. Another thing that's Pissing Me Off is the weather. I'm sitting here ready to go for my walk and I DON'T WANNA!!!

12 Comments:

At 8:12 PM , Blogger Kristina said...

This is why I'm not Facebook friends with any of my friends' kids, or any minors (um, that I know of...).

Sorry if I'm sending you obscure minutae. I also, I don't know how to spell minutiae. Ooh, I think that second one was right.

Also? I need some toilet paper.

 
At 8:39 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Minutiae from you I don't mind, kiddo. It's people I don't know. I scratch my head wondering how they are friends of mind.....
b

 
At 9:36 PM , Blogger sandman1 said...

You're so tech-savvy -- I was all set to mention twitter and you already know about it! And you know how to use youtube, which I don't (say, nice tower!). Is that Japanese being spoken in the background?

I'm not on facebook, and it seems like now you have to join to see anything, so I don't even see my friend's pages any more. Mostly it doesn't appeal to me, except that there seem to be a number of people there (and elsewhere) with my same name, which makes me kind of want to join to represent myself as the original (surely the others are all younger punks)...

 
At 10:13 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Oh sm, you should join!!! Well, it is really stupid, but funny. And those people in front of us at the ET were from South America, believe it or not. Or at least I think they were. We kept changing places in line. YouTube is easy.

b

 
At 5:11 PM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Wow that ET is something else! Amazing. Facebook is weird, I agree. But in order to keep up with the play and not get all fuddy-duddy, we play along a little - non? (Your observations are extremely funny and as always, right on the button.)

 
At 5:24 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Thanks, Kay. You're exactly right--I'm trying not to be a fuddy duddy. Problem is, I am one. :)

b

 
At 4:32 PM , Blogger Penny said...

Have you had your students try to "friend" you? ("Dude, I don't even like you in the classroom," I want to say.) I'm thinking about putting this in the syllabus this term:

NO! No, I will not be your Facebook friend! The last thing I want to see—and the last thing I want my REAL friends to see—is your college exploits. Or the exploits of your friends. Trust me. Do you really want me to see a picture of you doing a keg stand? How do you think that’s going to affect my perception of you in the classroom, where you’re a sweet, quiet grandmotherly figure?

 
At 5:50 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

HAR, Penny, you are so right!!!! That's why I use my mother's name on FB.

b

 
At 11:13 PM , Blogger Penny said...

You are a VERY wise woman.

How are you feeling about Veritek not having a contract yet? I'm worried.

 
At 11:20 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

They've GOT to sign Tek, Penny....gotta.

b

 
At 1:59 AM , Blogger Penny said...

I KNOW! My one and only New Year's resolution was go to more games. None of them will be as good if he isn't there!!! (I'm still a little sad from when Daubach left!)

Have you sat in the monster section yet? Most awesome!

 
At 8:18 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

yes, once.....it was great.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home