Saturday, January 31, 2009

Avoidance Behavior

I fall into the sleep categoroy of avoidance behavior. If I face an unwanted task, I feel drowsy. The more unwanted, unappealing, and difficult the task is, the harder a time I have keeping my eyes open. Washing windows? Practically asleep thinking about it. Cleaning the basement? I'm instantly comatose. Preparing for Christmas? Sleeping sickness.

Other people are eater/avoiders. Gosh, I'm hungry. I think I'll just have a little X or a little Y before I start my paper. Or my tax return. Or whatever it is. I'm capable of this too.

X
Y


Making a cup of coffee or tea is another tried and true avoidance behavior. You can drag that out for a good half hour.



Others are telephoners. I haven't talked to my old college roommate in months. I think I will call her now before I get going on the basement.


That brings up another category: cleaners. I have several friends who fall into this one. A good friend of mine is a high school English teacher and in the face of tremendous pressure to write dozens of college recommendations, finds he must vacuum the house over and over. Or scrub the bathroom or do laundry. This is one I do not fall into and never will.


We all know how much time we can waste on the internet. We join groups. We have to check them all to see if anyone has contacted us. We have to make the rounds, and this can take up plenty of time.

Best to take the bull by the horns, make a fresh start, no fear, don't look back, and other heartening sayings too!!!!! You know what, though? I'm feeling really drowsy.
A bientot
love,
becky

4 Comments:

At 5:56 PM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Boy can I ever identify with this post!!! Couldn't have put it better myself Becky. (I'd have to 'fess up to being a cleaner tho'.)

 
At 6:41 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

I so wish I was, Kay!!!!

b

 
At 4:11 PM , Blogger Kristina said...

I avoid work by reading Becky's hilarious blog.

Also, a cup of coffee sounds really good...

 
At 1:41 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish you'd send one of those cleaner types over to my house. My stimulous for cleaning is anger. My husband makes a point of pissing me off a couple of times a year just so he can see what it's like to be able to eat off the floor. (because that's where his dinner goes when I'm that mad)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home