Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Gates Pond





This is what we see before we actually get in the car and go to Gates Pond. Aren't they stunning? I have zero gardening skills, but these rhodies manage to grow and infiltrate their way into more than their allotted space without my assistance.
They only bloom for about two weeks and it used to be far later in May than it is now. Sniff. Boo. Oh well.
GET ON WITH IT FOR CHRIST'S SAKE.

Okay, then. Let's hop in the vehicle and take a jaunt over to the next town. It's not far, about five minutes. This is the same trip I used to take with the illegal squirrel trap in my trunk, live victim inside and waiting for liberty. Not any more, though. I have seen the light. I've also seen the possibility of being, uh, detained by the Animal Officer and I ain't messin' with her.

I'M SO ASLEEP I'M DREAMING OF BEING ASLEEP.






This is a walk around a pond, not escape from Alcatraz, okay? Thanks, dear reader, I know you know that.
These are lady's slippers, or perhaps they are ladies' slippers. They are, what is that term, endangered. You can't pick them. It's sort of like the mattress tag, though. Who's going to see you do it? And the term itself invites a smile. I picture the little flowers being surrounded by masked gardeners with guns. Yeah. With ransom notes. Now that's endangered. My friend Chris says lady's slippers have an "anatomical" look. We're not saying whose anatomy, however. We're far too dignified and discreet and squeamish for that, but if you have something like this curled up inside or dangling outside your body, keep it to yourself, okay?




Halfway around. Gosh, that went fast!! No sign of any bad guys.







Don't step in this, though. It's potent. I'm beginning to feel like Marlon Perkins.

While Jim wrestles with the vicious anaconda, I can't seem to find my contact lens.






These are lovely, aren't they? I don't have a rat's clue what they are.
I'm huffing and puffing now.
Pass the chips.
How much farther is it?
What's on TV?

In other news, dear reader, my grandkitties are here! They are staying with me for a month and already we're having wicked fun. Full coverage next time! They're so cute! And skilled! They're keeping busy digging holes in the carpet, so I must go and give them advice before Bette does.
love,
becky

http://www.statcounter.com/

4 Comments:

At 1:53 AM , Blogger sandman1 said...

Ha ha, my mother's college friend is reputed to have said those flowers are a bit, "gonadal", which is a story that usually accompanies a sighting! It's one of those things that once you've had it pointed out, it's hard not to think of it the next time... I was thinking it when I saw your picture, before I read the text!

 
At 7:50 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

"Gonadal" is good. Maybe I will introduce it as a vocabulary word next semester....thanks to your mother's friend!

b

 
At 6:52 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

A little boy at my work is called Alcatraz ... I kid you not.
Loved the appreciative walk among wild nature. Or the wild walk among appreciative nature ... Bette and fleshy-looking flowers notwithstanding.
The rhodies are beautiful.

 
At 7:40 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Thanks, Kay. What an odd name for a kid....always imprisoned.

b

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home