Monday, April 10, 2006

Irritations

And so we come to the end of another semester and surprise, surprise, the very same things are happening that always happen.

People can't do the work.

They are happy and hopeful on the first day, of course, and I like some of them very much of course, but in the end, they can't do the work.

They know what the assignments are, and tell you every kind of reason for what they do, but in truth....altogether now...

They can't do the work.

It's disheartening sometimes and it was so today. 2000 words is the requirement for the final assignment and very very few students have reached it. Now of course they still have a bit of time. I understand that. But more than half have a tremendous long way to go and I wouldn't want to bet any money that they will get there. Honestly, a great many of them think all they have to do is show up. I think they learned this in high school. Just show up and you will be fine.

Uh, no.

I'm planning a fire-breathing speech for Wednesday. That reminds me, I had a hilarious email from a student the other day. I haven't seen this kid for three weeks, okay? He's gone. Disappeared. So I get this email from him on Friday saying that his mother just gave his father a surprise trip to Aruba for the whole family and he has to go. He won't be in class next week (this week), but he'll be there on the Monday following. Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaay, so where were you LAST week? and the week before that? I told him not to bother attending any more.

Sorry for being such a grouch today. It's not that I don't have sympathy for my students--most of them have jobs, etc. BUT I DO MY WORK. I'M PREPARED AND I'M ON TIME. I KNOW MY OBLIGATIONS.

It's a scrotum kind of a Monday, I guess.

A bientot,
Becky

3 Comments:

At 11:34 AM , Blogger Julie Kibler said...

Hi Becky,
I surfed to your blog recently from Pub Rants and have really enjoyed reading. Definitely adding you to my favorites! Sounds like our senses of humor are similar. :)

A comment on your post--One of my former bosses from an internship I did last summer for a library science master's degree (wow, that's a mouthful) asked me Saturday if she could send students my way for work. I am a freelance researcher, editor, and writer. I told her, "Only if they work." :) We have had problems lately with people wanting to get paid for not working. Weird stuff.

Anyway, enjoying reading your blog, and I'll be on the lookout for your book!

 
At 8:51 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Thanks, Julie!!!! Hope your students work for you!!!

becky

 
At 11:49 PM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Hi Julie - I know exactly what you mean re students, it was my 'pleasure' to teach nanny students for their certifcate - I did it for four years. Aged 19 - 20 they were a pain on the whole I must say - EXACTLY as you have so aptly described - they just didn't want to work - PLUS they'd paid for the pleasur ... SO as I come from an entirely different country to you - it must be an international phenomenon!!! Surprise, surprise!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home