Tuesday, May 16, 2006

More Adventures

This may be my last post for several days if I can't get internet in the hotel where I am staying in Daytona. I am spending my last night with the folks here in ARkansas and jetting off tomorrow.

Odd observations:

Women here take good care of themselves, at least the ones I have seen. They have crisp capri pants, swish-looking pedicures, frosted hair and fashions as seen on television. They look as good as TJ Maxx can make them and I know that sounds like a put-down but I wish I looked as good. PRobably some of them are as good as Dillard's can make them, but I wouldn't know.

My hair looks like ca-ca. Vegetative growth in the jungle.

My parents' caretaker sold me her old flatiron today and I feel guilty taking it, but hey, I need help. Someone wrote me that they would meet me at this convention I am going to and described the fairy wings they'd be wearing at the costume ball.

I'm as ready as I'll ever be.

Going somewhere like this by oneself is a test of courage. It's like starting high school on the first day and hoping that you will have one friend.

I'll make a full report later.

A bientot
b

4 Comments:

At 12:50 AM , Blogger Julie Kibler said...

I attended a conference in Toronto last summer like that--all by myself. I had landed a full stipend as a student to go to the Special Libraries Association conference because of an essay I wrote about why I wanted to attend.

I found myself asking "Now, why did I say I wanted to attend this thing?" a few times that week as the days surrounded by a million librarians who took themselves quite seriously passed!(I was doing serious soul-searching myself about whether I really wanted to be a librarian and was about to graduate...A year later, I'm not one, but don't regret my degree because it gives me "mad researcher skillz" as the kids say.)

It was a little scary to fly literally across the country (from here in Texas) to spend a week knowing only about 3 people out of the 10,000 or so librarians that were there. I found that I had to just go up to people and introduce myself and start talking or I spent a lot of time feeling lonely.

I envy you on this, however! I've read about it on your blog and others, and it sounds like lots of fun as a newly published author. Maybe it'll be me one day. :)

Best wishes for a wonderful week!

 
At 4:25 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4:26 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

What will YOU wear to the costume ball? Have fun!

 
At 4:27 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Sorry -clicked twice and had to remove the duplicate.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home