Tuesday, April 24, 2007

English Patience


Say hello to the Big Guy. My main man!!! Willy the Shake!!
I put his picture nearby so I can reassure myself that there is such a thing as proper English.

I start to go crosseyed with the same errors over and over. I blame email for many of them, including most of the following:
I ate to much.
Was that you're idea?
Don't tell a women what she can do.
They left there coats on the table when they're taxi got their.
I defiantly think I am getting a good education.


Now say hi to Crazy Johnny Milton, the Paradise Lost dude. Lucifer is awesome in his poem, though it's godawful long.
I doubt he would have said:
It took me thirty minuets to get here.
The little puppy looked at me with eyes just begging to be held.
Most people don't have the lechery of sitting around all day and not working.



Billy Wordsworth almost certainly would never have said:
There are many people who think that and the reason why many people think that is because they have their reasons for feeling and thinking the best way they can and as with all the rest of life, there is another side to everything.
Although have you read "Intimations of Immortality"?


Virginia is my idol of course and has been for many years. I like to think she might have come to an erudite enjoyment of chick lit in her later years.


Like, To The Lighthouse
A Room So of One's Own
But I know she wouldn't have said things like:
Its a beautiful day when the dog chases it's tail and its fun to see when it's energy goes.
Now I do not want to give the impression that I think I am perfect. I am far from. But may I just say one thing?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH



My only fear is of looking in the mirror one morning and.......
A bientot
love,
becky

9 Comments:

At 8:33 PM , Blogger Kirstin Cronn-Mills said...

Willie the Shake . . . that's too good.

Here's the best grammatical error I've had in my enormous stacks of papers: my grandmother pasted away last week.

Thanks for the laugh at yours.

 
At 9:06 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

OH I FORGOT ABOUT PASTED AWAY!!!! I get that one too!!! Don't you love it, kirstin?

b

 
At 11:27 PM , Blogger sandman1 said...

My grandmother did découpage, so she really did paste away!

I am sometimes mortified to find I've made mistakes with things like "it's", which I think are often caused by my fingers typing away on muscle memory and getting it wrong (ever have that happen? sometimes they finish a different word -- in fact it just happend when I wanted 'ever' and looked back and found 'every'). But that's no excuse in a paper because it means you didn't proofread it carefully!

 
At 7:07 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Good one with the decoupage, sm!!!

b

 
At 12:12 PM , Blogger Mark said...

I'm relieved that the "many people" are still with you. While we're at it, many people write "definately" these days. And I see a lot of dangling participles at work: "Conceived on the kitchen table, Jeanie Noakes made this quilt using the classic Log Cabin block."

 
At 3:20 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

That's hilarious, Mark. Who knows--maybe we were all conceived on the kitchen table!!!

b

 
At 5:32 PM , Blogger Kristina said...

I heard someone say "pronounciate" the other day. They meant either "pronounce" or "enunciate" and combined the two words. It made me shudder.

 
At 6:45 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Yes, we should all shudder, kristina. And there's the ever-popular "nucu-lar."

b

 
At 11:34 PM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

This is too much! I love all the different uses of the word 'there' and 'their' and 'they're' - all in the wrong context. Classic.
And the Wordsworth reference - yes I have read 'Intimations' and hmmm ... maybe your student has accidentally written quite a good synopsis!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home