Thursday, March 06, 2008

I am a Techno-Jackass

Or at least that's how I feel today. The phone company says that there is a short circuit in the line coming into my house. YAAAAAAAAAY! If it (the short circuit) is flexing its muscles at the moment, crackling away and closing everything down, the phone guy can see where it is. But if it is NOT live, if the phone line happens at this second to be working, then he can't see it.


It's very much like telling the mechanic, "well, it was doing it this morning, I promise. Listen again--can't you hear it?"


Then the mechanic scolds you, but never mind that now.


I still have dial-up. Isn't that hilarious?


Mona.Lisa.smile.by.da.Vinci.jpgYeah, that's what I thought.


So anyway. Intermittently I have no phone and no internet. Until and unless the repair guy is here. Then it all snaps on and works.


Figures.


Today's blooper: "I don't like to wear shirts with sequence because they are too gaudy."


A bientot

love,

becky

4 Comments:

At 1:15 AM , Blogger sandman1 said...

Ug, intermittent problems are the worst. My friend had a crackling-static-on-the-line problem a few years ago and I'm sorry to report that it took his phone company (which was the cable company, actually) about two years to finally fix it. His turned out to be related to rain, so getting them there when it was wet was one issue. Ultimately they replaced everything on the pole and running to the house I think. The only good thing about it was that he pushed on customer service and got a fair amount of refund money over that time.

Dial-up is okay, especially if you have something else you'd rather do with an extra $40/month! People rave about FIOS, though, so if that's in your area you could consider it as a fix for both the phone and the internet access.

But now to the important issue -- what the heck is "Funny Face" drink mix???

 
At 7:12 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

I don't think my joke went over. I was trying to infer that my idea of technology was a Dixie cup connection.

Not too good, huh?

I am interested in Fios for sure, but actually have no problem with dial-up.

I really do think my problem is related to rain, so I will probably be going out again shortly since we are getting some today.
b

 
At 4:23 PM , Blogger sandman1 said...

Ahh, I get it now, yes! Cups and strings!

I get your new joke too -- going out "shortly"!

 
At 6:26 PM , Blogger sandman1 said...

"The bad wiring will be going out shortly", Tom said swiftly.

Good old internet -- I found pictures of "Funny Face" drink mix packets from the 60s-70s:
http://theyalwayscomeback.blogspot.com/2008/01/funny-face-drink-mix.html
http://www.theimaginaryworld.com/ffpac.html

And even antique TV commercials!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7x_EejA2Zo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujip5DxwGQw&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5hryVhFsPc

(note that sweet, old-timey racism in some of the oldest flavors)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home