Sunday, June 13, 2010

Recent Entertainment

Sometimes it's good to examine one's entertainment choices, isn't it? So here are the recent movies I have seen: some rented, some from the libes, and one or two paid admission at the theeyater.

the-hangover-01

The Hangover was, I think, a hit movie, or maybe it still is. This was a rental and I was extremely trepidatious about it. It looks stupid, vacuous. sexist, and immature. It was all of those. But I gotta say, it was pretty funny. Four stars from the Beckster.
nurse-betty-poster
Nurse Betty is a ten-year-old flick and I brought it home from the library. It's dumb. How could anyone be that dumb? I'm picturing the pitch somebody must have made for it--hey, a really dumb girl thinks she living in a soap opera! Uh, no. That's what they should have said. Renee is cute so I will give it one star.
entourage

First four episodes of Entourage. This looked like it would be addictive and we were in the mood. It's okay. It's skewed too young and male for me, I guess. The females in it make me feel old and crone-like, though grateful I don't have to compete in Hollywood.
00023254

Sex and the City 2. I went for the clothes. I have always followed the show and watched when I could because of the clothes. My mother used to say that about Charlie's Angels (old TV show). "I want to see what they wear." I get that.
SC2 did not disappoint on that level. Great threads.
The show is vapid and inane. Of course.
Duh.
However.
I really think the show on TV used to be thoughtful and provocative. It explored new territory for women's viewing. It wasn't stupid, vapid, or inane. Now it is.
But that's not the worst problem.
This movie is extremely insulting to Muslims. Is there a reason for that? Don't some of them hate us already? Did someone think it would be fun to throw a lighted match onto some gasoline? Isn't anyone going to say this?
Whatever.
One star for the clothes.
Date Night Weekend Box Office: Fey and Carell for the Win!

Date Night with Tina Fey and whats-his-name. I have always heard of Steve Carrell, but thought he was a black dude who wore glasses and pretended to be an Egyptian? Isn't there somebody like that?
The movie is deeply implausible, but what movie isn't? What comedy isn't, I should say. Three stars and Mark Wahlberg looks good without a shirt.

Valentines Day Movie stills - valentines-day-2010 photo

Valentine's Day--I turned this off after ten minutes because it was too boring to watch. That was probably unfair and I should have given it another ten.
Tough.
It's my life.
'

Cold Comfort Farm was excellent. It figures I would like this English PBS-ey kind of flick and I did. This is Kate Beckinsale, whom I always mix up with Kate Winslet and I think there's another English Kate in there too. Four stars.

I can't remember any more right now. So what's the analysis of the person who would choose to watch all of these?

Deeply selfish.
Silly, shallow, and superficial.
Out for her own enjoyment--

F--kin' A, baby!
I'm Living the Dream, dear reader.
A bientot
love,
becky

6 Comments:

At 9:56 PM , Blogger Eileen said...

OK, since when did "trepidatous" (or however you spelled it) become real word? Is that like "trending?" Or "transition" as a verb? Just wondering.

After reading your entry, I'm so glad I subscribe to Netflix for something like $8.99/month. No more standing in line to see films, no more rip-off concession stands. I don't have to put up with audiences making noises ... or some of 'em making out, period. If the movie (in my case, DVD) is a stinker, I press STOP, take it out of the player, put it back in its envelope, and back it goes to the Netflix people, who send me as many DVDs as I want per month, as long as it is one at a time. The greatest advantage is being able to watch a film in my underwear or something else not appropriate for outside the house.

I'm just sayin' ...

 
At 6:36 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

I started using trepidatious a while back and I'm not sure why. Trepidation was always one of my favorites, so I guess I kind of just rolled into it. I was afraid some purist would call me out on it, and you have done it. I may switch to fearful.

No argument on rentals. They are superior. Juat every now and then I crave movie popcorn.

 
At 10:06 AM , Blogger Kristina said...

I will defend to the death your right to say trepidatious!

I have not seen any of these but your reviews have confirmed my hunches.

No wait, I also tried Entourage thinking I'd love it. I love satire, I'm fascinated by behind-the-scenes showbiz stuff, and ensemble comedy. There's great talent in it.

But it bored the crap out of me. Alas.

You're right about SATC the show, and even the first movie. I'm not interested in the second one. My neighbor across the street is a huge SATC fan and made a big night out of going to see it with her girlfriends and when I asked her later how she liked it, I could tell she was trying hard to work up her enthusiasm.

 
At 11:06 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Thanks, Kris. SAC2 was very disappointing. I actually didn't know that groups of gals got dressed up and went to these. I would totally do that.

 
At 4:55 PM , Blogger Eileen said...

Hey, BWM!

You know, had you done it differently, you could have had BMW as your monogram. OK, I know, I'm nuts.

While I, too, crave real movie-theatre popcorn, I just refuse to pay the inflated price @ the concession stand. Since I'm on a serious budget, if I blow my money on that popcorn, I won't have money to buy another copy of your book! If I buy enough copies, your royalty money should be enough for you to go get movie-theatre popcorn.

Today was my last day of school. I'm off to hit the bars after I feed the cats. Pardon all typos.

 
At 6:20 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

I forgot about you being in school, Eileen. All typos are accepted---hoist one for me!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home