Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Conceptual Infinity



The concept of infinity, or conceptual infinity if you prefer, or immaculate conception of infinitesimal probability are all principles of the same philosophical truth: the number of leaves on my property approaches infinity.

They cannot be raked.

Therefore, I should not try.

This is what is called a syllogism. A equals B, and B equals C; therefore A is an impossible task and should be avoided.

Pythagorus thought this up along with his other better known Pythagorean Theorem. You know what his wife said? THEOREM THIS. He was a lazy dude, Pythagoras, and didn't rake for shit. His wife hated him. Well, let's say she had him pegged for what he was, a good-for-nothing nerd with his nose stuck in a book.

My mother used to say I always had my nose stuck in a book. She was right, too. I do not like to clean. So many of my good girlfriends do like to, and it's a damn shame that I wasn't blessed with this ability. It's also a damn shame that they won't come over to my house and clean for me. I would talk to them while they did it, I would help them plan parties, strategize social situations, and plot revenge. I would help them analyze who their friends really are and what the Hannaford's clerk meant when she said "Have a nice day" (bugger off).

I make all my composition classes pick the vocabulary words of their choice. I ask them first, who would like to have a bigger vocabulary? Almost everyone raises their hand. I guess it's sort of like asking a bunch of men who would like to have a bigger ----------? Of course I don't ask that. What would I do if they said yes? Anyway, when they do admit they'd like to own a few words, I tell them that they should look through our textbook and pick out a word they don't know. Each person picks one word--a word they would like to own, to understand and start using. It's fun sometimes.

What I'm building up to is this: one word picked today was--are you ready?

ZEST!!!!!!

ZEST!!!!!!

I literally danced around the classroom. It was an epiphany. Well, for me it was an epiphany; for them it was another example of instructors being weird. Or very weird.

Anyway, I'm very happy about it.

How did I get happy on a Wednesday? That can't be right.

But it is.

A bientot.

Be here now.

becky

2 Comments:

At 4:37 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

I'd leave the leaves too - they just decay on down to perfectly good humus don't they? Which is not to be confused with hummus ...

 
At 6:19 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Mmmm, wouldn't that be great if it DID turn into hummus...

b

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home