Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Foliage Schmoliage



Yeah, it's great seeing the leaves. I guess. They are yellow and orange, very bright. I suppose. I don't feel like armwrestling over whose leaves are better and/or more vibrant (ours are), but let me tell you something--we would trade every hue and pigment for two more weeks of summer. Just two, man.

Next time I drive down through the pick-your-own place, I'm going to throw hand grenades to make people get out of my way. GOD, is it annoying. You know how a squirrel will start to run across the road, now I'm going, no I'm NOT, I'm going to run BACK, NO, I'm going FORWARD, now I'm going to STOP and hesitate, NOW I'm going!! Mothers with children try this same maneuver in front of me. Just go, lady. Go with God. Go in peace. Don't hang back and hesitate or I will kill you.

When I came out of class today, it was starting to get dark. AT 4:15!!!!! There will be a brief reprieve from this when we revert back to standard time, but then the inexorable creep of winter.

HAH! I used "inexorable"! Student-selected vocabulary words are "swarthy," "undulating," and "inexorable." Probably a sentence about Johnny Depp could include all three words. Today we composed an extended definition of the word "slacker" on the board. That word always brings people alive. The sleeping members of that sect wake up and secret smiles adorn their faces. I like to see them become authorities on something once in their lives.

Teaching six sections of the same course from the same textbook is a complete exercise in deja vu. Did I do this before? Well, yeah, of course you did. No, I didn't. Yes, you did. I am forever looking quizically at my students and they are looking back at me the same way because of course they can't remember.

My agent is on vacation this week so I will have to wait until next week to see what further work I have to do on V. The book will never end. Tune in next year for the foliage. I'll try to post the same picture!! I'll be teaching the same class!! And I'll still be working on V!!

A bientot

Be here now.

love,
becky

5 Comments:

At 9:34 PM , Blogger sandman1 said...

Love the image of sleepy slackers perking up to help describe themselves. Maybe slacking is related to egotism.

 
At 10:47 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Slacking is quintessential egotism, don't we think? Egotistical is another vocab word, haha.

b

 
At 11:41 PM , Blogger Mark said...

I loved the Johnny Depp sentence. Class.

 
At 2:33 PM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

This made me snort through my nose on several occassions! As in laughing not taking cocaine ...

 
At 8:52 PM , Blogger sandman1 said...

I suppose slacking could be quintessential egotism (hey, book title: Quintessential Egotism). But I think slacking could also result from other conditions, such as being depressed or being extremely indecisive.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home