Sunday, October 15, 2006

Humbug



I am the Halloween grinch. Let me count the ways I dislike Halloween:

1)buying candy and having it in the house. Oh, I'll just have one while I'm in the kitchen. Oh, I'll just take two with me while I go upstairs. Woops, have to answer the door and give some out so I'll take another one. Ohmygod, I just gained ten pounds. IT'S NOT FAIR.

2) Answering the door when I'm in the middle of reading something or grading a paper and have only just managed to forget it's Halloween. OH HI, WHAT ARE YOU? WATCH OUT, DON"T FALL AND SUE ME.

3) great big people who come to the door in masks and hold out their bags and never say thank you

4) little kids with their parents who don't say thank you or even "trick or treat."

5) fearing that I will run out of candy. Ohmygod there are only six Reese's left, why did I eat so many?

There is only one reason I enjoy it. KNOWING I DON'T HAVE TO SCHLEP AROUND OUT THERE WITH A FLASHLIGHT AND SIX KIDS. WHERE'S WALDO?

And there is a certain queasiness as one drives home from a pleasant Halloween spent somewhere else. WHAT WILL MY HOUSE LOOK LIKE? EGGS? TOILET PAPER? I have been most lucky in these New England years, except for one senseless mailbox incident.

A bientot

Be here now.

becky

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home