Thursday, August 09, 2007

Class Dismissed



Here are exactly half of my final exam takers. They are the ones who show up on time. SHOCKING, I tell you, SHOCKING!! A big shout out to Dee, Maya, Tina, Amy, Keith, and Chelsea for their good work.


It's always bittersweet to say goodbye to students because you have gotten to know them so well and because they know you too (and I have a number of weirdnesses) and bang, it's over and you never see them again. My compost heap brain can't even seem to recall names after a very short time. Three weeks later, I see a known familiar face and it's "Hi! How are you?" What the f is this kid's name? "Are you taking English?" If there could be a big time out, blown by a whistle while everyone stands there for a second, I could come up with it. But those Whistle Time Outs ain't featured at my schools.


Ah, dear reader, the cats have arrived, the older ones. They are very quiet and in fact have not found my room or my bed. Perhaps they are too lazy to climb the stairs. Perhaps they feel shy (students: that would be reticent). Here is my reaction: FINE WITH ME.


Being awakened in the dark of night by a cat walking on my head is low on my personal list of amusements. The younger cats covered every square inch of territory in the day and in the night. These more mature two have inner tasks--composing lyrics to songs or threatening letters to discount stores--I don't really know what. But they're hard thinkers and you can see that in their furrowed countenances. Naturally, everything about them is furrowed and I did know that.
Here is the friendlier one at least making himself known. He is lying on the very hot knitted blanket atop my daughter's bed. "I'd rather be uncomfortably hot than show emotional dependence." Once again, FINE WITH ME.
Stay tuned for Showdown at Fifi's Corral.
A bientot
love,
becky

2 Comments:

At 7:20 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Your students look decidedly pleasant and decent human beings. And that cat has a decidedly superior feline expression.
"Fridge? On top of a fridge? You've got to be kidding me. Hell no. The bedspread is FINE WITH ME thank you verry much. Tops of fridges are for the birds. Birds ... birds ... did someone say birds ....?!"
Don't cats just have it all sorted? I look forward to the Showdown at Fifi's.
Well done on the 26,000 words!

 
At 8:45 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Yes, CB, these cats definitely have things sorted out. They're just incredibly sedentary....very different from the last two.

b

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home