Monday, October 19, 2009

Final Weigh-In and Comments

Healthweigh Doctor Scale


Loss for the last week: half a pound Can you believe that, dear reader? All that hunger and suffering for one lousy half pound--not even a whole pound? It goes against what you read about calories consumed and calories burned. I really believe metabolism plays a big big role. Age plays a role too and I am no, well, you know, it rhymes with bing licken.

My body at my age wants to be soft and plump and saggy. It wants to in the worst way. It fights me. I can barely win and I only win if I concentrate really hard and force myself to starve. Well, I don't mean starve, but stay really hungry.

Don't let anybody tell you that you don't have to be hungry to lose weight. You do. You have to go to bed hungry every night to make it happen. You have to do it night after night. You have to keep at it day in and day out, especially on the days when it doesn't seem to work at all, days when you actually GAIN weight. Yup. That happened to me several times.

It's all well and good to read about these people who lose tremendous amounts in a short time, but I am not one of them. I don't think most people are. It's lonely and unfair. It does eventually happen, though.

Total loss for one month (28 days): 4 pounds
ALL THAT EFFORT for only four pounds? Many would never ever guess that the total loss would be that small.

But I am not surprised. I am a veteran of diets. For me, a pound a week is pretty good. So if I want to lose the rest of the ten, it will take another six weeks.

Ugh.

On the other hand, what else am I doing?

Why do I care? When will I reach an age where I don't care?

I don't know. I just know I still care.

I also know if I start relaxing and increase my calories, the weight will jump back on. I worked too hard to let that happen.
Let this chronicle stand as a scientific case study of how a month of calorie counting will work. I am five feet six and a half. I'm not going to give up.

I am, however, going to take a blog break for a while. I've been saving bloopers, so I will be back when I feel the urge. Thanks for staying with me. I'm wearing a new pair of jeans and they feel good. love to all,
becky

5 Comments:

At 8:41 PM , Blogger Kristina said...

"Don't let anybody tell you that you don't have to be hungry to lose weight."

I agree. I hate pundits of any kind who make hard stuff (like dieting and paying off debt and exercising and keeping your house spotless) sound so easy, because the message is, "If it's hard it's because you suck at it and further, are a whiner."

It is hard, and further, it's expensive to eat healthy, that is to say it's expensive to eat the delicious healthy stuff (whatever of that there is.)

I watched a talk show, I think it was Oprah actually, about eating healthier where she totally skated over the cost of say, lean boneless chicken breasts versus chicken parts with all the fat, or ground turkey which is leaner than ground beef, and don't get me started on the price of seafood which is supposed to be good for you, too.

As I recall she looked this working class struggling mother in the eye, Oprah did, and said, "There's gotta be a paradigm shift."

Oh yeah? Shift THIS.

Argh.

 
At 8:56 PM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

Wow, Kris, thanks for that. Shift THIS. I gotta remember that. Yeah and yeah. :-)

 
At 2:05 AM , Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Yes, Kristina's made great comments there.
And your post is very real. Thanks for the honesty - it is SO true! I am with you all the way ... It is so hard and yes, I still care too. (Can't wait until I am ... ummm ... seventy-five ... and don't any more!)

 
At 6:04 AM , Blogger Becky Willis Motew said...

I hear you, Kay. I'm wondering if seventy-five will be enough, haha.

 
At 12:48 AM , Blogger sandman1 said...

Congrats on sticking it out and losing the weight steadily, if not as rapidly as you might have hoped. Maybe it'd seem like more if you shifted to metric: 1820 grams!

It's unfortunate, I suppose, that dieting is something that is _not_ about the journey. Still, I enjoyed reading along.

Slacker the Hacker

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home